Sunday, June 3, 2007

8 Mile Hike

Saturday Rebekah and I went on a hike. It was so awesome. I would have taken my camera, but that is one extra thing to carry and I didn't want to deal with it. Maybe I will take it next time and take some pictures of the great views we saw. Anyway, I arrived at Rebekah's house a little after 7:00 a.m. On Friday I went on a 4 mile hike. It was pretty easy except for the first 1/2 mile which was very steep and the last 1/2 mile that was very steep. Rebekah wants to take Nya hiking in the jogging stroller and so I said I would scout out some possible trails. I thought this trail would be a pretty good one. There are a few area's that are quite narrow, but I figured Rebekah could go on the hike with me and check it out for herself. So we arranged with Matt to watch Nya and we went hiking Saturday morning. We were on the hike and there was a trail that we could take that was an extra 4 miles round trip. We both felt pretty good and weren't too tired so we decided to go for it. Oh my gosh it was killer. It was so steep, but we were so glad we did it.
The trail we went on was up Millcreek Canyon. As kids our parents took us hiking there quite a bit. One memorable experience we all remember is when my mom was 9 months pregnant with Gideon. She was overdue and wanted the baby out!! Any of you that have been pregnant can relate. Anyway, as usual we all went in single file up the mountain with my Mom and Dad in the back. When we got to the top we would turn around and all of us kids would race down the mountain. We always wanted to see who could arrive at the car first. This time was no different. I can't remember who got to the car first (probably me Ha, Ha)
Anyway, as Rebekah and I were almost to the end of our hike we were jogging down the steepest part of the mountain. Rebekah tripped on a rock and tried to catch herself from falling. While she didn't fall flat on her face, she did still get hurt. She twisted her knee. She was unable to stand and put any pressure on it. I told her I would run and get the car and then come back for her. I ran all the way to the car. It took me about 15 minutes to get back to her. She tried walking and using me to lean on but it was too hard. So I had her jump on my back and I carried her down the mountain. We were totally laughing at how funny we must have looked. We got home and Rebekah suggested that I get Nya's jogging stroller and take Rebekah up to the house that way. So that is what I did. I insisted that Rebekah let me take a picture of her in the stroller so I could post it on my blog. She was a good sport but told me to hurry so that none of her neighbors would see her.

By Saturday afternoon she was still in a lot of pain so she decided that she better go into urgent care. I took her in and thankfully we didn't have to wait long at all. They took an x-ray and the Doctor came in and examined her knee. Thankfully, it was only a sprain and the Doctor said to rest for 24-48 hours and she should start to feel better. Phew, thankfully it was nothing too major!!!


Reuel and Ana said...

Rebekah looks so cute in the stroller. I remember those hikes well, but I think we only went a few times. it is beautiful up there. I remeber carrying Jethro on my shoulders as we came down but mother had the hardest time. Great Blog Amy. I love you

Amy said...

Sounds like a fun hike! Hunzy, I can't believe you carried Rebekah down the mountain- you are such a bad-A. :)
I miss you!!!