Thursday, February 1, 2007

Opportunity Knocks - Go For A Walk

I love to go walking. I try and go 4-5 times a week. Sometimes, it is 8 or 9 at night before I am available to go walking. But I have set my goals and I have to accomplish them. I can't use the excuse that it is too late, I just have to go and DO IT!

Tonight, I really wanted to get to bed by nine. I have to work a 12 hour day tomorrow. 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. straight through. It is hard to work that long, especially when you are on your feet the entire time. I've worked these shifts plenty of times and yes, I am exhausted by the end of the day, but sometimes I have no choice. Tomorrow is one of those days, that I have no choice. Just part of my dedication to my job and really, the fact that I am the coolest boss ever and I am working that shift so that one of my employee's can have the day off to take care of some personal things. She only gave me one day notice, but she is such a great employee I couldn't say "No". Anyway, since I wanted to be in bed by nine I knew I needed to go for my walk around 6:00. I went and got ready and then walked into the family room and told George I was going to go on the walk. Kate, who has been home sick all day peeped up and said "Auntie, I really want to go with you". I figured she had been cooped up all day and could use the fresh air. I told her I would go get the jogging stroller ready, but she said "No, I want to walk myself". Well seeing as it was 6:00 p.m. and she was still in her pajama's I knew it would be an ordeal to have her change out of them. I knew she was so sick and wouldn't walk far. So I told her to put a coat and her shoes on and I would wait for her. Well, being the bright 3 year old that she is, she said "No Auntie, I am not wearing a coat. You are not wearing a coat. You are wearing a sweatshirt so I am going to wear a sweatshirt". I was like "whatever" lets just get going. So she got ready and we went on a walk. Well, my instincts were correct. We walked about 4 houses down the street and then she said she wanted to go back home. I was surprised she didn't ask me to carry her, she has been so sick, but she walked the 4 houses back. When I walked in the door my cell phone was ringing. It was one of my employee's who was closing one of the stores and he told me he left his key at home. I live about a mile from the store and I could have easily hopped in my car and been there with in minutes. But I figured, the store doesn't close for another 45 minutes so I will just walk down there. Well it doesn't take me 45 minutes to walk a mile so I did a portion of our usual walk and then walked down to the store. I actually did my walk, jog, walk, jog routine. It was the best night so far of doing this routine. Each time I was able to run a little further and the time in between each jog became shorter and shorter. It actually is starting to feel really good to go jogging. I just can't believe it. I mean for years I have sworn off running. And here I am jogging and loving it. I still can't go very far. But I am trying and I know if I keep practicing then I will be able to do it longer. So I made it to the store with 15 minutes to spare. I was surprised I made it there so quickly, but I do jog a lot faster than I walk. I hung out for the 15 minutes, locked up the store and then took the long way home. I continued my walk, jog, walk, jog routine and it felt great! So I am going to continue to look for opportunities to walk. If I have the time I am going to choose to walk places rather than drive. Another tip is to park far away from your destination. For example, at the grocery store I park as far away as possible. Same thing at the mall. It never hurts to get those extra steps in.

So here it is 10:30 p.m. and I am typing away on my blog. This is my third post tonight and I could go on and on and on. But I seriously do need to get to bed. Sleep is very important in overall health and everyone in my house has been sick except for me. So, I need to get my rest so I am not worn out and unable to fight off all the sick germs!!

Just 6 more days until my next weigh in! I can't wait. My appointment is Wednesday 2/7 and I can't wait to update my "Smokin Hot Thermometer".

Goodnight!!!

No comments: