Sunday, January 28, 2007

Get Up & Get Moving

It isn't that often that I get to sleep in. I usually have to be to work by 6:45 a.m. which means I need to leave my house no later than 6:15. I usually set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. and snooze it for about 20-30 minutes. I like to feel like I am waking up gradually so I purposely set my alarm for earlier than I actually have to get up.

So on Sunday's I don't have church until 1:00. I hate having church at 1:00 because I have to give up my Sunday naps. Anyway, this morning 5:00 rolled around and guess what? I was wide awake! I don't understand why it is when I can actually sleep in, I wake up at 5:00 no problem. During the week, it is all I can do to roll out of bed and get moving. Well I tossed and turned for 1 1/2 hours making every attempt to fall back asleep. I just couldn't do it. So I gave up. I got up and decided to go ahead and get my walk over with. I figured I might as well. So I got dressed, had a protein shake, and off I went.

I don't mind going walking by myself. The only problem is that a lot of times I find myself strolling rather than keeping up a good pace. That is what is so great about having George go on the walks with me. He really sets the pace. Well, I really wanted to try and keep up with the record that George and I set the other night of 53 minutes. I knew if I was going to do that I had to stay focused. As I was walking a crazy, insane, ridiculous thought popped into my mind. "Why don't you try jogging" I pushed the thought out as quickly as it came in. I mean seriously, me run? I hate running, I always have .....

In High School for P.E. we had to run 3-4 miles twice a week. Every Tuesday and Thursday we had to run. We got graded on it too! That really ticked me off because I didn't think it was fair. The grades were based on points and they ranged from -5 to +5. When I first started the semester I refused to run. I would walk, but I would have rather died than run 4 miles. After a few weeks of getting points from -5 to 0 I started getting really mad. I still didn't think it was fair to grade on who was running and who came in first. The people who got the +5 were running really fast miles. The others would go down in points depending on the time they came in. When I got my grade status in the class and it was a "C-" that really got me going. I couldn't believe that me, someone who is addicted to exercise and works out like 2 hours a day was getting a "C-" in P.E. I decided I better swallow my pride and do something about. So I started running like I was supposed to, instead of walking like I usually did. I was in good shape so I had no problem keeping up with the other runners. I just didn't enjoy running. I didn't like the feeling of my feet pounding on the hard pavement. But there was no way I was going to get anything less than an "A" in P.E. So as the semester wore on I got a +5 on every single run and I was able to increase my grade to an "A". What got me through those runs? Using my anger to drive me faster to get done so I could tell off my P.E. teacher. Of course I never did that, but just the attitude of all the P.E. teachers really annoyed me.

So back to my thought that popped into my head. It kept coming and coming and finally I gave in. I looked ahead to a light post in the distance and said "I can jog to that", so I did. Immediately I remembered why I despised running so much. The pounding of my feet on the pavement and a new feeling.... my fat bouncing up and down. Didn't feel to good but I made it to the light post. When I slowed down to a brisk walk I was breathing really hard, but I felt good. I mean I had the high of exercising that I haven't felt in a long, long, long time. Man it felt good. Instantly memories came flooding back of doing aerobics and hiking and bike riding and swimming. Everything I used to do to get that high. When we have gone out on our walks I have always felt really good, but never experienced that extreme high that I used to get. I kept walking on and after a while I thought I would try running again. I focused on an object up ahead and decided to run to it. This time it was a little easier and I actually ran a little past the object I was going to stop at. I walked some more enjoying the high I was feeling. I continued to do this through out the rest of the walk. Each time was a little easier and more full filling. I certainly didn't go very far each time I ran, but I did it. I was back home with in 45 minutes! Yeah! I made it in under 53 minutes! Of course I did cheat. I cheated in a good way because I ran for part of the walk and cut off 7 minutes. That is pretty good. I can't say if I will try jogging again or even if I will do it every time I go walking. Who knows... Maybe in a year I will be laughing at this post as I am training for my first marathon. You just never know with me. But once again I have proven to myself. NEVER SAY NEVER!

1 comment:

Reuel and Ana said...

Dear Amy
Nice blog. I am happy of your continued loss. there is a book down here that I saw whick is fit for life for women. it was a book i used that varied the walk speed and you lost weight much quicker. that is when I lost the most weight at the gym. you might look it up. it was like running to the next light pole. keep up the good work, we love you. ana printed out your last self potrait so we could see how well you are doing.
love
Dad and Ana